savannah-hackers

[sr #110408] Subscribe pseudo-user `elpaforward` at `elpa.gnu.org` to `a

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110408] Subscribe pseudo-user `elpaforward` at `elpa.gnu.org` to `address@hidden`
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 17:45:47 -0500 (EST)

We are making progress!  :-)

Although previously I had said that frontend1 could connect to elpa.gnu.org
today I don't know why I said that as frontend1 is the web UI and has nothing
to do with git emails from git.  What was I thinking?  I obviously was not
thinking.  Sorry.

Having made the most recent change I now see mails in the mail queue properly
on vcs0 the git server to elpaforward AT elpa.gnu.org as expected.  However
vcs0 is firewalled off from elpa.gnu.org and cannot connect.  When I try
testing the connectivity from there I see that it is being blocked in between.
 We will need to get an elpa.gnu.org admin to open up the access.  And I think
it strange that it would be allowing frontend1 but not vcs0.  I would have
expected it to be either the entire subnet, or none.

> Based on other tests, it seems that `@elpa.gnu.org` end up sent to
`eggs.gnu.org` (not sure if it's done via DNS or routing or what).

I do not know why that would happen.  Mail routing is controlled by MX records
and as you have noted there are no MX records for elpa.gnu.org and therefore
no explicit routing.  Therefore the *only* default routing would be direct to
elpa.gnu.org using the existing A record.

It is possible for me to add specific routing for elpa.gnu.org mail to go
through eggs.  That is no problem to do.  The only reason not to do so rather
than opening up a firewall access is because it is incrementally more complex
and in the future when upgrading and cloning the system it means that specific
routing always needs to be applied.  Better would be to have an MX record
installed for elpa.gnu.org that points to eggs and then it works by default
for everyone.

> I think it's best if you revert the setting to what it was before for now.
If needed, I could just subscribe that `@elpa.gnu.org` address to the
mailing-list anyway with the advantage that its address won't appear in the
`To:` of the mails sent to `emacs-elpa-diffs`.

Now that you say that adding the new address as a subscriber to
emacs-elpa-diffs does seem like a very nice and tidy solution.  GOOD IDEA!  I
wish I had thought of it earlier! :-)

Assuming that lists.gnu.org can connect to elpa.gnu.org.  Therefore I tested
it now and that does work.

list@lists1p:~$ nc elpa.gnu.org 25
220 elpa.fsf.org ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye

With this I think you are able to subscribe the address to the existing list.
And I think that is a great solution.  However I look and see that it has not
been done yet.  If you have problems doing that subscription I am happy to do
it for you as that is very easy to do.

I think it may have taken some iteration but I believe what you propose is a
great solution! :-)

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110408>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/