savannah-users

Re: may a program using LaTeX be hosted in Savannah

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: may a program using LaTeX be hosted in Savannah
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 15:07:47 -0600

Hi Daniel - Most LaTeX packages are released under the LaTeX Project
Public License, which is incompatible with the GPL, and therefore cannot
be hosted on Savannah, despite being acceptable free software licenses.
At least that is my understanding.

OTOH, if the LPPL stuff is only a dependency, e.g., for the sake of a
manual that you wrote in LaTeX, and nothing in your project is itself
licensed under the LPPL, then it would seem ok to me.

As for images, it depends on the license of those images.

It's all in the details when it comes to this stuff ... --best, karl.

P.S. Another free software forge, based on the same code as Savannah,
that does not have the GPL-compatible policy requirement is
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua, created and maintained by Sergey Poznyakoff,
long-time GNU maintainer. I have hosted several of my TeX projects there
over the years.