screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] error with Cygwin

From: Andrew Schulman
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] error with Cygwin
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 10:34:27 -0500

> When I run Cygwin64's screen 4.07.00 with bash shell I am seeing errors
> such as:
>
> $ cat b | xargs grep foo
> assertion "bc_ctl.arg_max >= LINE_MAX" failed: file
> "/usr/src/findutils-4.6.0-1.x86_64/src/findutils-4.6.0/xargs/xargs.c", line
> 500, function: main
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> I do not see this error outside screen, ie if I just pull up a Cygwin bash
> shell.
>
> The file b is:
>
> hello.txt
> world.txt
>
> These two text files can be empty or not, doesn't matter.

Hi. I'm not able to reproduce this:

$ screen --version
Screen version 4.07.00 (GNU) 02-Oct-19

$ xargs --version
xargs (GNU findutils) 4.6.0
Packaged by Cygwin (4.6.0-1)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Eric B. Decker, James Youngman, and Kevin Dalley.

$ touch world.txt
$ echo foo > hello.txt
$ cat b
hello.txt
world.txt
$ cat b | xargs grep foo
hello.txt:foo

Not sure why you see the error and I don't. My best suggestion is to report it
to the Cygwin list, address@hidden. The Cygwin findutils maintainer will see
it there, and the screen maintainer too (me).

Please see the reporting guidelines at https://cygwin.com/problems.html. In
particular, be sure to attach the output of cygcheck -svr.

Eduardo is right that it looks like a findutils problem, but it's probably best
to see if it's anything Cygwin-specific before you send it upstream.

Good luck,
Andrew