security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] FSF has a duty to flag GNU Radio for violations (

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] FSF has a duty to flag GNU Radio for violations (was: s/w that requires middleman..)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 18:43:57 +0300

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 07:01:31AM -0500, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    The alleged "violation" relates to gnuradio.org using cloudflare, so
>    that TOR users face a proprietary captcha and are unable to get a copy
>    of the program or its documentation from the official website. These
>    users still are able to download a copy of the program via other means,
>    such as from a distribution packages source archives.
>
> There is never a guarantee that you can download free software over a
> specific, be it via HTTP or some other protocol.  If you want, you can
> provide free software on paper for all anyone cares -- would be
> annoying but nothing ethically or morally unjust about it and
> explicitly protected by the four freedoms, and the GNU GPL.

You are right, that is all fine and well.

It is however not fine for GNU project as such. GNU software should be
IMHO be downloaded from GNU websites and sponsored by FSF, regardless
where the original projects are hosted and how. I suppose there need
not be even a qualification that original project has a website, or
any kind of hosting, important would be just to have GNU software
available where? At GNU.

It makes sense, and it is expectation of GNU website users, to find
GNU software on the GNU websites. Simplest logic that there can be.

Jean