silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] webfonts flask extension

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] webfonts flask extension
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:49:22 +0530

Hi,

[Keeping you cc so that you won't loose reply in case you have trouble
subscribing. If you are subscribed let us know and we will drop you off
from cc]

Off topic but important:

Never overpost[1] when communicating on FOSS mailing list

[1] http://catb.org/jargon/html/email-style.html

Snip off unneeded part and reply inline, if not relevant drop the
complete email and give only required message in your reply.

On 21:24 Thu 22 Aug     , Nithin Saji wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I had been working on the flask web fonts extension for some time and had a
> few speed bumps in between.Now the back end for the extension is in place
> and I had been working on the interface for the past week.I am not
>  entirely sure what has to be done here as I have limited UI design
> experience and needs some feedback.

UI design should be fine first have working back end. I'm not myself a
designer but Jishnu can help.

> currently the extension can
>
> 1.give a JSON response with a list of fonts that can be filtered by
> language from a configurable sub domain or path
> 2.Serve the font files from a  configurable directory and path
> 3.A api which serves text for any language wrapped in JSON
> 3.Provide an interface  for showing the fonts.
> For the interface I have made  an interface which currently only list the
> fonts.

I'm yet to check module I will have more response once I've  looked at code.

> https://github.com/diadara/flask-webfonts
> heres' the code and an example app is included, but doesn't have any
> documentation

First step would be documentation suggesting how this should be
used. Please add it before doing further development.

>  Here is the ui I had made earlier
> http://flaskexample-diadara.rhcloud.com/Webfonts
> How much of this has to be changed or retained ?

There seems to be some bar which is spoiling the UI can you fix it? I'm
using Iceweasel Aurora branch (Firefox 25.0a2)

> As I said earlier I have limited UI experience and I  realize that
> something like this may take some  time for me http://www.google.com/fonts/
>
> .And also I had used Jquery and font-face css  to manipulate the fonts
> earlier and it was very messy. Mediawiki's jquery.webfonts is a  perfect
> fit for this..So what all should be packed into the extension ?

Santhosh's idea was to integrate jquery.webfonts from Mediawiki so pleas
go ahead with it.

>  Also I was using the JSON apis created by me for providing font info for
> the new UI. I went with this  as this seemed very customizable  and doesn't
> require any changes tot the python code if this was to be replaced as with
> the case of  a jinja based template . Is this acceptable or should a jinja
> template be used.

I'm not sure about what you wanted to ask but first let me check code
before sending further reply. May take some time from my side.

Jishnu if you can provide reply quickly please do so.

> I have been going back and forth with  the design and I need to make some
> clear cut decision before going further.

Design can be kept aside for now if you have proper working back
end. But let Jishnu comment on this.

@Santhosh its been a while and if you can look at changes it would be
really great.

Warm Regards