silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] GSOC progress

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] GSOC progress
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:26:46 +0530

Hi Nitin,

Again please don't over post.

On 15:12 Wed 21 Aug     , Nithin Saji wrote:
> I  am realy sorry for the current situation, I was really busy with college
> work during most of the day to be online in irc and  I had a problem with
> silpa-discuss as my confirmation mail was sent to spam and I was not
> receiving replies to my mail. This is resolved now.

Good to know. But what I'm seeing here is you are not replying to
replies which you are get from us. I strongly suggest you develop habit
of replying to mailing lists once you got replies from us.

Mailing lists are good way to do offline communication, we are not
asking you to be always online just keep us in loop of your work through
mails on mailing list. It will require internet only when you need to
send mails.

> I had planned to change the version numbers after adding  unit tests once
> all modules were ported

Planned? This is not a good habit! either keep your work on some local
branch if you want to do it later. People expect to see some what
finished code when its published.

You can mention in README that its still work in progress don't use it
and add a TODO section with what is pending, otherwise how do you expect
us to know if you are done or not done?.

Also do you have habit of pulling changes we do to repositories which we
fork from yours under Project-SILPA? If not please start pulling changes
and don't expect us to raise reverse pull request :-).

Also now we have made you member of Project-SILPA so you can directly do
changes there. I really don't like github work flow because it messes
things around.

> Webfonts flask extension is taking longer than expected partly because
> of my college work and also since I had to rewrite some parts of it
> multiple times.

Keep in mind "Early optimization is root of all evils" (quoting from
Donal Knuth) first get it working then start reorganizing. Just see that
you have been simply spending time to re organizing stuff all around
rather than getting it working first.

> Present status:
>
> * Api completed and usable with user supplied fonts
> * Changed the interface from jinja2 to a http api front end
> * Configurable urls and folders.

I will have a look at this.

> TODO:
>
> * documentation and testing
> * clean up the api
> * more features to the interface

Please add these to README file in repo so we know the status.

> I have been working on this   repository
> https://github.com/diadara/flask-webfonts/commits/dev after the midterm and
> had some issues since I started programming without a  complete design and
> I had to rewrite things in between and  this causesd the problems.

See my reply above.

> I have limited time during week days as I have to attend collage from 8 to
> 5.I can find  enough time for the project (about 40 hours) mainly in
> weekends  but  communication is  becoming an issue for me as I can't be
> online on irc most of the day due to  my school work.

We don't ask you to be on IRC it should be pretty clear from our
previous mails where we were stressing on *mailinglist* communication.

And to add we are also having a job in our day time we spend 8-10 hours
there and we will have only few hours (2-3) where we right these mails
to communicate things.

So best idea is start orgnizing things within whatever time you have. In
the beginning it will be bit difficult but it will come around.

> Can we have a weekly
> meeting for evaluating and discussions  at some fixed time ?

As you wish if that helps you better.

> I know
> opensource organisations are volunteer basis and do not follow a rigid
> structure and communications are supposed to be dynamic. This is the first
> time for me working without a fixed plan without a short deadline and I am
> struggling because of  that.

I can understand.

> flask webfonts repo: https://github.com/diadara/flask-webfonts
>
> I was worried about code quality for the extension and  had to rewrite this
> a couple of times as I didn't  like the design as I felt that it was  upto
> me to come up with the structure and design for the extension.
>
> Once again I am  sorry for  putting you guys in this situation.I wiil find
> time to rectify my inefficiency.

Hoping to see more participation from you once you have organized things
properly.

Cheers,
--
Vasudev Kamath