silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Review of Webfonts work

From: Nithin Saji
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Review of Webfonts work
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:36:35 +0530

Hi,
thanks for being patient with me till now.I am trying my best  to get some work done .

>I was reading through the code and I've some suggestions about text.py
>and fonts.py. I know these files are required to give information from
>fonts but I don't agree with having them as python files rather I would
>use some simple configuration files. People who might want to use the
>extension without python knowledge will be in trouble if we ask them to
>write information in python.
>Make sure these configs are passable to extension rather than part of
>extension. Preffered format will be one used by ConfigParser which is
>more like INI file. or yaml or other simple format can be used.

Config-parser doesn't support nesting which might be needed needed if we are  looking for
or a single config file based solution. I have looked at yaml which is   more powerful but since it
uses  indentation for nesting    people can get   it wrong. I am going forward with using yaml.

>When handling large number of fonts something which came to my mind was
>writing this configuration files for fonts it will be really tedious
>task. Some basic information about font can be extracted from font
>itself using fontforge python binding we need to have a look at this
>alternative.

I have looked at font forge bindings and they seemed a little too complex  for me as I do not fully understand the technical stuff and the documentation is not very good.I also discovered another library  http://ttfquery.sourceforge.net/ that  can do this . But  it  is specifically for  ttfs.Which is the standard font format these days ? Is it ok to go with ttfquery as it has got better documentatton or should I dig into font forge.

Nithin Saji