silpa-discuss

Re: [silpa-discuss] Review of Webfonts work

From: Vasudev Kamath
Subject: Re: [silpa-discuss] Review of Webfonts work
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:17:34 +0530

On 20:36 Tue 27 Aug     , Nithin Saji wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks for being patient with me till now.I am trying my best  to get some
> work done .

<snip>

> Config-parser doesn't support nesting which might be needed needed if we
> are  looking for
> or a single config file based solution. I have looked at yaml which is
> more powerful but since it
> uses  indentation for nesting    people can get   it wrong. I am going
> forward with using yaml.

OK fine with me, we can assume technical people will use this plugin so
they will definitely understand yaml.

<snip>
> I have looked at font forge bindings and they seemed a little too complex
>  for me as I do not fully understand the technical stuff and the
> documentation is not very good.

I agree but fontforge library can't give much information about font but
you can have a look at [1] tool written by my friend which can extract
some pieces of info from any font file.

[1]
https://github.com/aravindavk/fontforge-python-cookbook/blob/master/print_meta.py

>I also discovered another library
> http://ttfquery.sourceforge.net/ that  can do this . But  it  is
> specifically for  ttfs.Which is the standard font format these days ? Is it
> ok to go with ttfquery as it has got better documentatton or should I dig
> into font forge.

I've not explored it but let me checkout later but only ttf might be
problematic if user adds only woff fonts.

--
Vasudev Kamath
http://copyninja.info