sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] DB_INIT_LOCK problems?

From: Jason Harris
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] DB_INIT_LOCK problems?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:33:56 -0400

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 09:44:40PM -0400, Yaron Minsky wrote:

> My problem is that I don't understand why there are ever deadlocks at
> all.  Both "sks db" and "sks recon" are single-threaded applications.
> They communicate with each other in various ways, but they don't
> access each other's databases at all.  So the fact that there are ever
> deadlocks of any sort suggests to me that my code is doing something
> that's just wrong.  I'd prefer to figure out what that is before
> making the code as it is more robust to being interrupted by the
> deadlock avoider.
>
> That said, I've looked at this a few times, and haven't been able to
> figure out what I'm actually doing wrong.  So if you have any thoughts
> I'm all ears.

It seems like SKS is locking up in a different way now (TZ=UTC):

2004-07-26 02:01:42 0 keys found
2004-07-26 02:45:11 Checkpointing database
2004-07-26 02:45:26 Checkpointing complete
2004-07-26 03:00:00 Calculating DB stats

"sks db" remains responsive but "sks recon" stopped logging events
at 02:01:32 without reporting any errors.  Only a "kill -9" worked
to kill the recon process.

As for being single-threaded, if any signal handlers interrupt any
database operations in progress and attempt to do any new database
operations, they could cause deadlock.

--
Jason Harris           |  NIC:  JH329, PGP:  This _is_ PGP-signed, isn't it?
address@hidden _|_ web:  http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/