sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] [GnuPG-users] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] [GnuPG-users] sks-keyservers.net: Changes to pools / SRV Weights
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 16:32:56 +0200

On 2012-05-13 16:26, Gabor Kiss wrote:
>> Easiest way around it is using a properly defined membership file
>> that reference the hostname found in the sksconf. This is one of
>> the reasons I've provided a reference membership file[1].
>
> It seems to be easy like replacing all domain names by IP addresses
> in configuration files but principally not correct.
>
> In this case keyserver.uz.sns.it is a symbolic name pointing to the
> actual host doing the job.
>
> If Giovanni wants to move the service from soyuz.uz.sns.it to
> apollo.uz.sns.it, he can do it transparently just changing the
> CNAME record in DNS. None of his peer partners should modify their
> membership file because these contain the alias keyserver.uz.sns.it
> as Giovanni asked.
>
> This is why CNAME is invented for. You should not work against the
> world. :-)

I'd turn it the other way around. The hostname in sksconf is a
principal identifier of the server, no matter which alias is used to
access it, so the only one that can be used without getting duplicates
in the pool.

The hostname in sksconf should reflect the primary DNS names it is
accessible on. It doesn't necessarily have to correspond to the *nix
hostname SKS actually reside on at any given time. So I don't see this
being a problem. Sorry :)

That said, feel free to write a patch that implement alias tables and
I'll take it into consideration :)

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/