sks-devel

[Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:49:18 -0400

Kristian drew my attention to sks.spodhuis.org showing a last update of
May 25th.

I'd tried to make sksclient be read-only in BDB access, but failed to
find a way to do so because a directory-based BDB *always* seems to use
log files.  So I'd given up and gone with the flow.

Apparently the locking is not what it could be, as I ended up with a DB
that needed recovery.  Moral 1: do not run sksclient against a serving
DB.

gpg's error of "key 01234567 not found on keyserver" can sometimes mean
"keyserver is dead".  :(  Apparently having a proxy in front of the
keyserver is enough to confuse gpg?

Moral 2: monitor keyserver by pulling known-good key from it every
$monitoring_interval.

Moral 3: get around to setting up log monitoring which alerts on
not-known-harmless lines.

Stopped recon & db, ran db_recover, started, things are catching back up
now.

-Phil