sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:27:34 -0400

On 2012-05-29 at 20:11 -0700, David Benfell wrote:
> > How many keyservers run NTP, BTW?
>
> DisUnitedStates.com runs openntp. It turns out this is publicly
> available (which is fine with me but I haven't checked that it is
> associated with an appropriate tier).

OpenNTP is not disciplined enough to be a source of time for other
systems; it's great for end-nodes which consume time synchronisation
sources, as the privsep OpenBSD design is more inspiring of trust than
the reference ntpd's design.

I'm running a custom fork of OpenNTP, to get current OpenBSD source
running on FreeBSD; I'd hoped to get time to sort out some kind of
leap-second handling before the leapsecond this July 1st, but I doubt I
will.  So instead, I'll probably switch back to ntpd to ride out the
leapsecond, then switch back.

-Phil