sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up

From: Kim Minh Kaplan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks-peer.spodhuis.org catching back up
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:43:41 +0000

Phil Pennock :

> I'd tried to make sksclient be read-only in BDB access, but failed to
> find a way to do so because a directory-based BDB *always* seems to use
> log files.  So I'd given up and gone with the flow.
>
> Apparently the locking is not what it could be, as I ended up with a DB
> that needed recovery.  Moral 1: do not run sksclient against a serving
> DB.

SKS opens its environment with Dbenv.RECOVER flag¹. This is nice to ease
restarting after a crash. But this is wrong when multiple processes are
accessing the environment at the same time². Jason Harris reported that
he removed Dbenv.recover and that it permits him multiprocess access to
the key databases³.

Kim Minh.

¹ keydb.ml line 326.
² http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17276_01/html/api_reference/C/envopen.html