sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Non-trivial HTTP server config

From: Johan van Selst
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Non-trivial HTTP server config
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:48:35 +0200

Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
> On 2012-06-26 20:49, Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:
> > Just for curiosity I entered URL http://p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net:80
> > in my browser as written on page
> > http://sks-keyservers.net/overview-of-pools.php.
> > I get to page http://mud.stack.nl.
> > That is quite interesting site but at first sight does not serve
> > any keys related thing.
[snip]
> Not necessarily that tricky, seems like a simple matter of a virtual
> host and a reverse proxy (I'm guessing apache) in front of SKS. In any
> case, it works...

Indeed, this a virtual host setup with a reverse proxy on one of the
hosts. The keyserver information is available via keyserver.stack.nl,
but the default site shows the information as on http://mud.stack.nl/.
There are some other virtual hosts on this server as well.

So, http://keyserver.stack.nl/pks/lookup?op=stats works fine (via the
reverse proxy), but http://mud.stack.nl/pks/lookup?op=stats will show
a 404 error. However, there was no virtual host configuration for
'p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net' on this host, so these requests would
end up on the default site rather than the keyserver site.

I have updated the configuration, so that requests for the hostname
p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net (and in fact *.sks-keyservers.net) now
show the same page as http://keyserver.stack.nl/. From now on, requests
for http://p80.pool.sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=stats should also
show the status page of my keyserver, rather than a 404 error.

Regards,
Johan