sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Idea: dump should create keycount.txt

From: Kristian Fiskerstrand
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Idea: dump should create keycount.txt
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:51:45 +0100

On 11/08/2012 02:07 AM, Phil Pennock wrote:

> Kristian, one feature request: please emit a line stating the checksum
> algorithm, so that it's easier to migrate in future?  Especially since
> this is using MD5, which is leads to a second feature request.  ;-)
>
> "#Checksum-Algorithm: MD5\n"

This is a good idea, I'll update my patch later.

> At least, I think it's MD5, based on use of Digest and
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/Digest.html saying
> MD5.

Indeed MD5. As this is for detection of transfer corruption, and not
prevention of intended attack that is IMHO Good Enough (TM).

I'd rather prefer a clean ocaml-native setup to a reliance on an
external library, however, since we are already using CryptoKit using
this is more probable than anything else. I'm gonna look into the docs
for that some more, however, for any change to have a practical effect
it'd have to be handled in a post-processing script anyways adding
digital signature, etc, so I don't necessarily see any large reason to
shift away from MD5 for this purpose.

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
----------------------------
Uxor formosa et vinum sunt dulcia venena
Beautiful women and wine are sweet venom
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/