sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out

From: Hendrik Grewe
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] sks.disunitedstates.com down and out
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:05:47 +0200

Hi!
As requested I have removed you from my membership file.
For informational purpouse:
I am running my sks on the tinyest VPS (parallels) from 1&1 it is a
special offer for students, is rate unlimited and costs 1€/year so very
very cheap (and powerless 2 gigs ram, 40 gigs discspace  1x2Ghz core).
The VPS currently serves a postfix/dovecot/amavis/spamassasin/roundcube
mailserver, LAMP stack + sks.

I did not have any issues with BerkleyDB / sks so far.
I think Berkley DB is wellsuited for use of a keyserver since it is
optimised for key/value pairs (to quote Wikipedia):
>BDB stores arbitrary key/data pairs as byte arrays, and supports
>multiple data items for a single key. Berkeley DB is not a relational
>database.

I don't think there will (ever?) be a swith from BDB to any relational
database, as those features are not needed.

Also what I have read about your tries to "recover" the database. I
think I have read in some FAQ that one should _not_ try to recover a
(somehow) corrupted sks database. Instead one should start (from
skratch) with some actual keydump.

But nevertheless thank you for your services within the SKS pool.

Hendrik