sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Tor hidden service - what's the rationale?

From: Alain Wolf
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Tor hidden service - what's the rationale?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 02:36:40 +0100

On 14.11.2015 at 01:23, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-11-14 at 01:15 +0100, Hendrik Grewe wrote:
>> I would imagine not leaving the tor network through an exit is the
>> benefit.
> And what should be the benefit of that?
What is the benefit of leaving Tor?
> If tor works right, there is none, if it doesn't there wouldn't be any
> either, when you "not leave it" when you hit the hidden service.
The benefit is, that no exit node and no one else on the Internet
(outside tor) can profile your communications habits and partners.
Its your address book which you send over there. I assume most clients
do that unencrypted (partly because of the manual steps needed to
install Kris root cert for hkps).
As a agency, with this meta-data I won't even need your client IP. Its
worth a lot more.
We made good progress in encrypting mail-client-to-server connections in
the last years. We are still working, but slowly progressing on
server-to-server mail encryption. But people continue to happily send
their complete address-books over the net unencrypted trough HKP.

And as you seem not to like HKPS either ...
> hkps is IMHO only little help there, especially as it has the big
> problem of the strict hierarchical trust...
But now that you have been given the possibility of an encrypted
connection for your client, without hierarchy, but with the added
benefit of the clients IP anonymity, and yet you still complain.
What is it that you want?

>> Why does facebook run a Hidden Service [0]?
> Wild guess: Marketing & hype
All services I provide, public or private, or just personal, are also
reachable as Tor hidden services.
The time and cost I need to set up a hidden service is a fraction of
what I need for any conventional service, by adding a real IP, firewall
rules, DNS entries, TLS keys and certificates etc. etc. .

As long as this is easier to setup, why make clients leave the the Tor
network, if we both are already inside it?

> Why do google/Yahoo/MS/whatsapp, etc. propagate their "cool" crypto
> stuff, which is actually useless in the end?
> People feel good.

I know anybody could just smash the glass of any window to break into my
apartment.

Still I lock the front-door every morning when I leave my home.

Cheers
Alain