sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] New Keyservers and Dumps

From: Eric Germann
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] New Keyservers and Dumps
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:49:54 -0400

Since I’ve been rolling these myself, I didn’t know a 3 node cluster was best.

As for the 3, if either putting them behind a LB or doing round-robin, how
would the LB or the client know there was a failure on one and move on in the
cluster.  Most I’ve seen with multiple (??) boxes use two IP’s behind a CNAME
doing RR DNS.

FWIW, no one has complained, so not too sure it’s an issue, at least for now.

I do notice I frequently end up with a significant number of them in the hkp
pool.  They do run hkps on LetsEncrypt certs and seem to sync fine, at least to
GPGSuite.

Do you have a best-practices deployment doc, because it’s pretty much been
trial by fire.  For example, killing the daemon gives you about a 50% chance of
blowing up the db.  For the longest time I rebuilt, not knowing an “sks
cleandb” would fix it 99% of the time.

Docs seem a bit thin.  I was trying to up pool count since a lot seem to have
gone by the wayside, adding some geo-diversity and running one in Africa.  Not
sure if there are any others down there.

It’s an interesting experiment.  If it’s an issue let me know and I will shut
some/it down.

EKG