sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Blacklisting on UID?

From: Hendrik Visage
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Blacklisting on UID?
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 19:46:17 +0200

Hi Thorsten,

 I believe the problem have been highlighted that the SKS keyservers are a very easily abused infrastructure with things like the photos etc.
not to mention big keys that caused other denial of service type attacks on the server infrastructure.

 The question perhaps, is:
 How critical is this SKS type infrastructure for whom?

 It’s not DNS nor BGP type critical for the internet, so who do feels this is critical?
And if it is critical for somebody, those somebodies might need to put up their hands and start to perhaps rethink the keys, the infrastructure,
consider what have been learned recently etc. and then we might have a way to go forward in a bit more “protected way.

Just these few months I’ve been “involved”, I noticed the following:

- the keys might need to be formally specified -> how do you chec that is acually a proper key??
-  size and format of userID etc.
- images might need to be dropped.
- filters for EU/etc. privacy specifications??

So yes, things like the magnet URIs might just be getting more prolific until we might need to be forced to shutdown ;(