[Social-discuss] Building useful export functionality

From: Nick
Subject: [Social-discuss] Building useful export functionality
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:46:58 +0100

Hi again,

Firstly, apologies if this list isn't the best venue to ask this -
please let me know if there's one more appropriate for me.

I'm working on building good, useful export tools into a blogging
platform at present. The export is just Atom, which is nice and easy
to work with.

However I'm not sure what the best route is for setting the id tag.
The post URI would work, but seems less ideal if it's being imported
into another blogging engine - or is this not the case; is the
intention of this tag ONLY to provide a unique identifier, which a
new blogging engine can then use to identify specific posts? If I
wasn't to use the URI, what would be appropriate? A hash of the
content?

Also, exporting comments is something I'm not sure how to handle.
The comments in a sense belong to their respective posters, so I
wonder whether it's reasonable to include atom xml of comment
threads belonging to a post in a grand 'export' function? Any
thoughts on what the right thing to do here is?

Looking forward to any responses,

Nick

--
GPG : 0x04E4653F           9732D7C7A441D79EFDF094F61F48567404E4653F