[Social-discuss] Re: Building useful export functionality

From: Nick
Subject: [Social-discuss] Re: Building useful export functionality
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:48:52 +0100

Quoth Nick:
> I'm working on building good, useful export tools into a blogging
> platform at present. The export is just Atom, which is nice and
> easy to work with.
>
> The post URI would work... (snip)

I mean URL here, I think...

> Also, exporting comments is something I'm not sure how to handle.
> The comments in a sense belong to their respective posters, so I
> wonder whether it's reasonable to include atom xml of comment
> threads belonging to a post in a grand 'export' function? Any
> thoughts on what the right thing to do here is?

A better, more distributed approach could be to enable commenters to
export their own comments tied to the post URI. The server with the
post would still need to know about the comments, however, so that
it could link to the comment URIs (which could themselves be on any
server). Other thoughts on such a system?

Here I'm mainly concerned with what would be most useful and
reasonable as an export format, but ideas about future directions of
blogging platforms inevitably play into that.

--
GPG : 0x04E4653F           9732D7C7A441D79EFDF094F61F48567404E4653F