Re: [Social-discuss] project ideas and use cases

From: Blaine Cook
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] project ideas and use cases
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:19:58 +0000

On 17 March 2010 23:16, Blaine Cook <address@hidden> wrote:
> Agreed! There is more than one way to envision such a future, though.
> The way that will be successful is one that takes into account how
> things are already done out in the wild. Take Crabgrass, for example –
> it was built, as Elijah suggets, to emulate the [massively successful]
> Facebook approach to social networking. Re-imagining such a platform
> as a P2P network would likely be an incredible hurdle. Approaching the
> problem instead as one of simple bridging between already installed
> networks means that not only Crabgrass, but networks like FourSquare,
> Twitter, Flickr, and Facebook itself, to name but a few, could easily
> integrate with each-other where integration makes sense.

Correction, my extremely jet-lagged self misread / misremembered
Elijah's post. Crabgrass wasn't built to emulate Facebook. The point
still stands though, since Crabgrass, like Facebook, has an internal
conception of users that interact based on rules embedded in code.
Extending secure interaction models, especially those encoding group
dynamics, to a pure p2p environment would be challenging at best.

b.