Re: [Social-discuss] project ideas and use cases

From: Hellekin O. Wolf
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] project ideas and use cases
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:54:39 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:09:53AM +1030, Daniel Sobey wrote:

> What i think this project should be is a bit of glue and a standard
> protocol and set of web service api's.
>
> [snip]
>
> It should be an internet application not a web application.

*** I agree with most of what you say, just wanted to highlight this
very important point: the web is made to share/retrieve documents, not
to interact with people.  It's a stateless protocol and however glue
you put on top of that, it won't be able to manage the state of your
network graph, the trust you give to people of your credentials to
this or that service. The web isonly the (public) face of things.

Moreover, it's not a question of "begin able to move", but a question
of who owns the data. You should Own Your Own Words (thanks Stewart
Brand for this one) and I should own mine. Whatever I post, wherever I
post it, I should still have a local copy so that I can repurpose that
data however I want. This simple observation comes from numerous
frustrations with sites (mostly blogs) disappearing from the web, with
their (our, your, my) comments, or simply a lost bookmark that makes
the content invisible to (me, you, us). Put it on the cloud, or
wherever you want, but the "Service" should be a CLIENT to *our*
*individual* database, not the other way around (sorry google).

So, the infamous "export data" button should not only be mandatory,
but built-in the protocol itself.

==
hk