Re: [Social-discuss] Feedback from LibrePlanet 2010 conference

From: micah anderson
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Feedback from LibrePlanet 2010 conference
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:43:35 -0400

On 2010-03-24, micah anderson wrote:
> The FSF held its annual conference last weekend in Boston. Several talks
> at the conference mentioned GNU social either by name, or as an effort
> that needs to be undertaken by free software hackers.
>
> Two members of the conference, Ian Denhardt (from GNU social) and Ryan
> Prior, a student from Wisconsin, gave an impromptu brainstorm on GNU
> social, with PubSub, OAuth, OpenID and FOAF mentioned.
>
> I've asked them both to take these ideas, get some initial code working,
> so we can allow a couple of Elgg instances to communicate at first, just
> as a proof-of-concept.

Nice, that should be an interesting test!

Can anyone provide license clarity on Elgg? Their Downloads page[0] says
GPLv2, but their license page[1] seems to indicate that from version 1.6
on they are MIT licensed. I could be misreading that though.

This gives me the shameless opportunity to plug a code-base that I'm
involved in which, in my humble opinion, is licensed under a more free
license for web software: the AGPLv3. While not as full-featured in the
social-networking realm, politically the Crabgrass[2] project shares a
lot of affinity with the goals of the Gnu project. I encourage people to
check it out and consider adding functionality, such as those discussed
above, as it is something that would be eagerly embraced by the project
because it is something we have wanted for the last four years.

micah

0. http://elgg.org/downloads.php
1. http://docs.elgg.org/wiki/License
2. http://crabgrass.riseup.net