Re: [Social-discuss] New Social Networking Features in Ubuntu

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] New Social Networking Features in Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:46:15 +0200 (CEST)

Henry Litwhiler typeth:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/03/hands-on-ubuntu-goes-social-gains-me-menu-in-1004-alpha-3.ars

| > So you can see we're going to be more social right from the start.
| As the project gets closer to completion, we can look into incorporating
| the MeMenu. Desktop applications will be important to make it a more
| seamless integration with GNU/Linux.

Woah. We're going full speed ahead into maximum desktop
integration. The only reason Facebook isn't being used with
Twitter clients is, you can't do everything with a client yet -
but there is no doubt Twitter is becoming more and more a
not so web service. This is a trend.

Citing the article:
> It is included in Ubuntu 10.04 alpha 3, and brings support for
> Twitter, Identi.ca, Facebook, FriendFeed, Flickr, Digg, and Qaiku.

So that's an interesting point. The thing has the user interface
of the future, but it doesn't support a single social network engine
that isn't SaaS. It should use a decentralized privacy enhanced
SaaS-free backend instead. And it should learn to use strong
cryptography rather than Twitter lists.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____