Re: [Social-discuss] Design mockups - round 1

From: Luis A.
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Design mockups - round 1
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 02:56:23 -0500

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 00:41 -0400, Steven DuBois wrote:

> Colors can always be changed, but right now the focus should be on
> layout and fundamental aspects of the design.

I'll be sure to add feedback as the project moves along, but this is
what first comes to mind:

If I look at UX design from the perspective of a "typical" nongeek user
of social networks, the best designs are the ones that don't look
threatening or complicated. I think (early) Twitter and Identi.ca as
good examples; just a few big(ish) buttons/links (with plenty of
"breathing" room) that in more or less obvious fashion tell me what they
do.

Considering the complexity of what GNU Social hopes to achieve (a
decentralized freedom-respecting Facebook replacement) Facebook's
current look (which I liked a lot when it rolled out) should be the
model for what not to do. Keeping the "typical" user in mind, the
interface design should aim for simplicity and obviousness to the extent
that such is possible on a website.

And by the gods, why are social networks obsessed with tiny typography‽
In that contex, it is neither chic nor easy to read (and I have good
vision). Resist it at all costs, please. :) The system can have a few
built-in customizable skins, and the ability to add more via plug-ins (a
separate discussion, of course).

I like where the design going, though. Good job!

--
Luis A. Morán Morales
http://identi.ca/lamm