Re: [Social-discuss] Half of social network users state privacy is #1 co

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Half of social network users state privacy is #1 concern
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:02:39 +0100

On 17 July 2010 00:50, Natanael <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now what was the name of that site? pleaserobme.com?

I didn't know there was a site for that, but it doesn't surprise me.
Just thinking about it further, the actual content of the message
doesn't matter very much, so long as you have the geolocation
information.  If users give out geolocated messages often enough, or
you aggregate messages over a sufficient length of time, it should be
possible to figure out someone's typical daily movements.  In
informational terms you can think of it as reconstructing the signal
from sparse samples.