Re: [Social-discuss] Half of social network users state privacy is #1 co

From: Luis A.
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Half of social network users state privacy is #1 concern
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:29:30 -0500

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 01:50 +0200, Natanael wrote:
> Now what was the name of that site? pleaserobme.com?

Thanks for the link. Though most people on this mailing list are
probably privacy-savvy or at least privacy-aware at a basic level,
pleaserobme.com seems like a good site to share with our less tech and
privacy-aware friends and relatives. They, after all, are the ones most
vulnerable to the temptations of over-sharing on social networks.

I do find it rather ironic that Twitter is one of the sponsors, since
Twitter is always offering me to add location data to my posts, even
though I repeatedly click the "No Thanks" link.

The studies cited by the article Melvin linked are encouraging—at least
people are increasingly becoming aware of social networking privacy
issues. I look forward to GNU social's rollout to see how we'll do in
attracting users outside the free software community.

--
Luis A. Morán Morales

http://identi.ca/lamm
http://www.gnewbook.org/pg/profile/lamm