social

[Social] Beginnings of a Protocol

From: Sean Corbett
Subject: [Social] Beginnings of a Protocol
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:18:18 -0400

Hey everyone,

As per the requirements laid out in Matt and Rob's "Thoughts on Facebook," we have decided to begin with a simple social networking protocol. We also plan on using an existing standard to start, so as to not have to reinvent the wheel. So, our initial plan is to begin with the OStatus specification, and extended to meet our needs. The spec has been posted on the wiki at http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social (sorry if the formatting is a bit wonky at the moment). There's already a few areas that need to be touched (actually, everything in the "Out of Scope" section will presumably be part of our protocol...), so feel free to start making changes or additions to suit our project goals.

--sean corbett