social

[Social] Authentication

From: Sean Corbett
Subject: [Social] Authentication
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:00:55 -0400

Hi guys,

After starting to think about the design for the social networking plugins for StatusNet, Ian and I realized that implementing any of these plugins can't really happen before we implement a suitable authentication scheme to manage permissions... We *could* go ahead and write a photo gallery, but this would be rather counterproductive as we'd have to tack on access rules after the fact, which would make things a lot messier.

This is, of course, one of the big issues facing the project; thus, we should probably tackle this problem by implementing a proper authentication and permissions scheme before we start worrying about adding additional social network functionality. Ian and I think that FOAF+SSL is the way to go given its popularity its simplicity, popularity on the discuss list, and the fact that we have quite a few people who are knowledgeable of it.

--sean