social

Re: [Social] Authentication

From: Ian Denhardt
Subject: Re: [Social] Authentication
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:00:58 -0400

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:00:55 -0400
Sean Corbett <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> After starting to think about the design for the social networking
> plugins for StatusNet, Ian and I realized that implementing any of these
> plugins can't really happen before we implement a suitable
> authentication scheme to manage permissions... We *could* go ahead and
> write a photo gallery, but this would be rather counterproductive as
> we'd have to tack on access rules after the fact, which would make
> things a lot messier.
>
> This is, of course, one of the big issues facing the project; thus, we
> should probably tackle this problem by implementing a proper
> authentication and permissions scheme before we start worrying about
> adding additional social network functionality. Ian and I think that
> FOAF+SSL is the way to go given its popularity its simplicity,
> popularity on the discuss list, and the fact that we have quite a few
> people who are knowledgeable of it.
>
> --sean

So after talking with matt, sean and I have decided to go ahead and
start implementing some of this stuff on top of openid. Part of my
confusion was that it wasn't at all clear from the documentation or my
initial look at the code that status.net allowed using your local
profile as an openid, rather than just being able to sign in with an
existing one, and attempting to do so seems to fail at livejournal
(which is the first place I tried as a test.) despite working most
places.

--
Ian Denhardt <address@hidden>