social

[Social] Current Happenings: Webfinger auth scheme

From: Sean Corbett
Subject: [Social] Current Happenings: Webfinger auth scheme
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:18:23 -0400

Hi GNU Social!

A group of developers of GNU Social met with Craig Andrews (StatusNet and a new Socialite) and Blaine Cook last week to discuss what needed to be done to the StatusNet codebase in order to provide a more full-featured social networking experience. One of the biggest issues facing us at the moment is how to authenticate users between GNU Social instances, so as to provide access/privacy controls on content posted to the network. Blaine has been working on a scheme for authentication based on Webfinger ( http://code.google.com/p/webfinger/ ) and OAuth. While he anticipates publishing a specification shortly, he explained his idea well enough for Ian Denhardt and I to make a toy implementation of it, as specified on the TODO list (see the wiki: http://gitorious.org/social/pages/Home ). The code will be posted within the next day or so, and there are plans to have some of the original StatusNet developers incorporate this functionality into the StatusNet core proper. In the meantime, you can read a (relatively vague) description of the protocol at my blog: http://scorebett.doesntexist.com .

--scorbett