stow-devel

Re: [Stow-devel] Stow 2.0.x release requirements

From: Kahlil Hodgson
Subject: Re: [Stow-devel] Stow 2.0.x release requirements
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:20:55 +1100

Hi Adam,

Glad to see another stow hacker about and I'm sure Troy is too:-)

On 16/11/11 10:25, Adam Spiers wrote:
> I've just had a closer look at this history, and discovered that it's
> not at all what I expected.  Almost *all* the major changes between
> 1.3.3 and 2.0.1 are contained in the root commit.

I'm not directly involved with stow development any more and I believe
Troy is the current maintainer, however I can fill you in on some of the
history.  Basically, there is none between 1.3.3 and 2.0.1. The later
version was the first public release of a new code base.  The work done
by Chris, Austin, Geoff, Emil and myself between 2007 and 2009 was part
of a private in-house project that I got permission to donate back to
GNU. The SVN history between 2007 and 2009 is no longer accessible to me
(it may be on a tape backup at my old job) and is not really that
interesting.

Sadly, I never had the spare time to wrap my head around all the
savannah stuff and get the new version released properly.  Thankfully,
Troy came along and was willing to take over as maintainer.  You thought
on moving the stow core into a library seem like a good and I think Troy
may have suggested that same in the passed.  More testing and
documentation would be good too :-)

Anyway, hope this helps to clear up some stuff.

Kind Regards,

Kal

--
Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382

Suite 1005
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925