stow-devel

Re: [Stow-devel] Stow 2.0.x release requirements

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Stow-devel] Stow 2.0.x release requirements
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 17:06:20 +0000

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Anyway, here's what I intend to do next:
>
>  - Transplant the current savannah git master branch onto my git->cvs
>    import of the old CVS repository.
>
>  - Move Troy's experimental stuff into a separate branch and clean up
>    the author name/email on these commits.
>
>  - Where appropriate, forward-port some post-1.3.3 commits from the
>    old CVS repo to the head of the 2.x branch (it looks like your
>    rewrite was based on the 1.3.3 release rather than CVS HEAD).
>
>  - Fix a few other minor issues I've noticed.

These are now done.  It turned out that several of the post-1.3.3
commits weren't appropriate for forward-porting, e.g. the --ignore,
--force, and --subdir patches seem to have been superceded by other
work already in 2.0.1.

Perhaps my most pleasing achievement today was this:

perl -MTest::Harness -e 'runtests(@ARGV)' t/*.t
t/chkstow.t ................ ok
t/cleanup_invalid_links.t .. ok
t/defer.t .................. ok
t/examples.t ............... ok
t/find_stowed_path.t ....... ok
t/foldable.t ............... ok
t/join_paths.t ............. ok
t/parent.t ................. ok
t/stow_contents.t .......... ok
t/stow.t ................... ok
t/unstow_contents_orig.t ... ok
t/unstow_contents.t ........ ok
All tests successful.
Files=12, Tests=97,  1 wallclock secs ( 0.10 usr  0.04 sys +  1.15
cusr  0.17 csys =  1.46 CPU)
Result: PASS

However, none of the tests are running under 'use strict' / 'use
warnings', and it seems that due to use of package globals, this will
be difficult to fix before addressing one of the remaining tasks:

>  - Split the core code off into Stow.pm.

So I will do that next, followed by:

>  - Add my support for ignore list files.  I might send a separate
>    mail to this list about the design.
>
>  - (Maybe) port my conflict resolution code over.
>
> I've submitted a request to be part of the savannah project.  If
> someone gives me push access to the repo then I'll push my work.
> Otherwise I'll publish it via github.

Now available here:

  https://github.com/aspiers/stow

but be warned that it is still liable to regular rebasing.