Re: [STUMP] longer startup times

From: J. Liles
Subject: Re: [STUMP] longer startup times
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:15:58 -0500

> Start-up time of StumpWM has increased by 4 times and its
> response-time to prefix-key is twice much of what it usually takes.
> this is not then end, it is running very slow, taking lots of times to
> respond to my keys.
>
> then i found the culprit in "~/.stumpwmrc":
>
> ;; hook begins
> ;;
> ;; hook from  "male" at IRC channel #stumpwm
> ;; this will show the curent group name when you will switch the group
> ;; (defun focus-group (newg oldg)
> ;;   (declare (ignore oldg))
> ;;   (message ":: ~a ::" (group-name newg)))
>
> ;; (add-hook *focus-group-hook* 'focus-group)
> ;;
> ;; hook ended
>

> this hook caused my StumpWM to run very slow like a tired old man. i
> commented it and now StumpWM runs fine as usual. i posted it here
> because i am still not able to find out why this hook caused the
> problem in 1st place ?
>
> any ideas ?

Sorry, I should have pointed out the fact that hooks are
non-exclusive.  In your usage, the hook will be added to the
list every time you run "loadrc", resulting in (focus-group)
being called many times.  Use the following macro instead of
(add-hook):

        (defmacro replace-hook (hook fn)
         `(remove-hook ,hook ,fn)
         `(add-hook ,hook ,fn))

        (replace-hook *focus-group-hook* 'focus-group)

Now you can call (replace-hook) for any other hooks in your
.stumpwmrc.