[STUMP] [David O'Toole] Fwd: Digested Articles

From: David O'Toole
Subject: [STUMP] [David O'Toole] Fwd: Digested Articles
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:19:07 -0400

Hi shawn,

My posts to the list are silently disappearing... I twiddled with my
gnus options to fix something that caught my eye, hopefully that will
help.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Topics
Topics:
   can't run stumpwm over ssh -X
   got it working over ssh

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: can't run stumpwm over ssh -X Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:35:36 -0400
I've finally decided to switch to stumpwm. I was happy with xmonad for
a short while, however:

 1. it's not lisp and therefore i can't help develop extensions
 2. you need to edit the Haskell source to configure *anything*, even
    simple keybindings.

The default keybindings are horrible for emacs users, and after an
hour of trying to make it work a bit better, I decided: give me back
my Common Lisp!

Anyway I am having a showstopper bug with stumpwm (on SBCL).

This is what happens when I try to run stumpwm:

> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>
> debugger invoked on a END-OF-FILE in thread #<THREAD "initial thread"
> {AE3E789}>:
>   end of file on #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "a socket" {AF0CCD1}>
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> (no restarts: If you didn't do this on purpose, please report it as a bug.)
>
> (SB-IMPL::FD-STREAM-READ-N-BYTES
>  #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "a socket" {AF0CCD1}>
>  #(0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...)
>  0
>  8
>  T)

the usual "xhost +" did not help.

I have had similar issues with common lisp and X forwarding, and so
have others. For example, when writing CL-FRAME, I had to use
(clx:open-default-display) to make it work over ssh.

Here are some (admittedly CMUCL-related, but possibly relevant) notes:
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/doc/clx-authorization.html

This is a big problem for me, because most of my work is done on a
laptop that is essentially a dumb terminal---all my files and
applications are on the server downstairs, and I use X-over-ssh for
everything (including the window manager.)

So until you help me, I am stuck with xmonad :(

BTW I am working on RLX again
(http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/RogueLike.html ) !!

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: got it working over ssh Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:10:41 -0400
I changed one line in stumpwm.lisp, recompiled, and now it works:

> ;; Usage: (stumpwm)
> (defun stumpwm (&optional (display-str (or (getenv "DISPLAY") ":0")) protocol)
>   "Start the stump window manager."
>   (multiple-value-bind (host display) (parse-display-string display-str)
>     (setf *display* (xlib:open-default-display)

This is obviously only a temporary fix, but at least it gets me
started using stumpwm so I can stop with the xmonad.

I hope this (and the links in my previous email) will help you
diagnose the problem... maybe a config option should allow you to make
stumpwm use (xlib:open-default-display) upon request.

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden