StumpWM Info manual in Debian lenny (was Re: [STUMP] New Debian package,

From: Luca Capello
Subject: StumpWM Info manual in Debian lenny (was Re: [STUMP] New Debian package, 20080721, git-6e67440f9a6f000bc2b921cd509e5bedb116cf5e)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:53:32 +0200

Hi Shawn!

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 06:17:21 +0200, Shawn wrote:
> Luca Capello <address@hidden> writes:
>> Unfortunately, the next Debian stable release, lenny [1], will ship with
>> CLISP-2.44, since we're freezing this week [2] and I already overwhelmed
>> fixing other bugs...
>
> Would it help if I generated a manual with 2.46 for inclusion?

I can include any manual we want, but this will disrupt the Debian
package build process, since this cannot be done with a simple patch as
per the ChangeLog add [1].  Let me explain...

1) the Debian package build process is managed by a Makefile
   (debian/rules) with some required targets [2]

2) when Debian needs to patch upstream sources, the actual patching is
   done before any 'configure' or 'build' target execution [3]

3) to create the StumpWM Info manual, a 'configure' target (as well as
   the dependency on autoconf, CLISP and cl-ppcre) were added [4]

4) if the patch for the CLISP-2.46-generated manual is applied *before*
   any `./autogen.sh && ./configure && make stumpwm.info` step, the
   so-patch stumpwm.info will be replaced by the built one

Thus, I see two solutions if we want to ship a correct Info manual:

1) I completely remove the upstream process to build the Info manual.
   This is a no-op for me, since as soon as CLISP-2.46 will be available
   in Debian I need to restore the very same procedure...

2) the CLISP-2.46-generated Info manual is put into the debian/ folder
   [5]: the Debian package build process works as usual, but the
   so-generated (and broken) Info manual is then replaced with the one
   present in the debian/ folder.  As soon as CLISP-2.46 enters Debian,
   the Info manual in the debian/ folder is removed

So, if you really want to include a correct Info manual, I'd go for
option 2).  In that case, could you send the Info manual to be included
to the corresponding Debian bug #492111 [6], please?  Simply sending a
mail to bug-number at bugs debian org will do the trick.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1]
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-common-lisp/stumpwm.git;a=commitdiff;h=bdf626896d9144569737ad76fd3bb1f7553d9f4c
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-rules
[3]
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/quilt.html#3__integrating_within_package_build_process
[4]
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-common-lisp/stumpwm.git;a=commitdiff;h=252a6742852c2386d5fd32a8afe1bf6d7278a497
[5] this means that it's not considered as part of the upstream sources,
    but part of the Debian modifications, instead: it's the same
    situation as the upstream ChangeLog, but "manually" managed
[6] http://bugs.debian.org/492111