[OT] Debian unstable (was Re: [STUMP] New Debian package, 20080721, git-

From: Luca Capello
Subject: [OT] Debian unstable (was Re: [STUMP] New Debian package, 20080721, git-6e67440f9a6f000bc2b921cd509e5bedb116cf5e)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:13:11 +0200

Hi Julian!

A bit off-topic, but something to be precise :-)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:10:07 +0200, Julian Stecklina wrote:
> Bow before the great Debilian Operating System. :) I used to run a
> desktop with unstable (everything else had unbearably old software),

I strongly discourage Debian unstable for desktop systems.

If you cannot help old software versions (i.e. Debian stable, but way
more tested that any other Debian distribution), you can live with
Debian testing, which is relatively new, especially soon after a new
Debian stable is released.

> but unstable seems to be regularly broken in the last months.

With my Debian Developer hat on, I don't remember any break in Debian
unstable (AKA sid) in the last year.  I upgrade my sid-amd64 everyday
and obviously I experienced some specific problems, but nothing that
"made unrelated software on the system (or the whole system) break" (a
'critical' bug [1]).

Usually, if you want to avoid the most any problem, never do a
dist-upgrade, but only "simple" upgrades [2].

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities