Re: [STUMP] Challenge: make this frame layout!

From: Pierre-Paul Paquin
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Challenge: make this frame layout!
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:16:45 -0400

I was showing off stumpwm to a friend and he challenged me to make that layout. Seems useless, but it's one of the few interesting cases of things stumpwm _can't_ do.

-ppp-

2008/9/25 John Li <address@hidden>
On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:59:49PM -0400, Pierre-Paul Paquin wrote:
> Hello StumpWM fellows,
>
> Is it possible to have a five-frame layout like the following? How do you do
> it?
> (monospace font required)
>
> +---+-------+
> |   |       |
> |   +---+---+
> |   |   |   |
> +---+---+   |
> |       |   |
> +-------+---+

No, I'm fairly certain that's impossible, even by manually editing a dumped
layout, since stump's frames are arranged as trees. The closest you could get
is:

> +---+---+---+
> |   |   |   |
> |   +---+---+
> |   |   |   |

(or something similar).

Do other tiling window managers let you make something like you want? I can't
really imagine a straight-forward interface to get a layout like that.

<3,
john

P.S.: bobf, I miss j00. School's keeping me too busy for IRC. Much love to all
the Frenchmen, too.