Re: [STUMP] Move a window from one screen to another

From: John Li
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Move a window from one screen to another
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:01:20 -0400

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:12:43PM +0200, Stefan Reichör wrote:
> "Daniel Werner" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi Stefan!
> >
> > You may wish to activate Xinerama in your xorg.conf. This usually
> > allows the window manager to manage all screens using only one
> > instance, instead of spawning a separate window manager process for
> > each screen. With most Xinerama-unaware window managers (e.g. wmi,
> > blackbox), this has the side effect of not only switching
> > groups/workspaces on one screen, but on *all* screens simultaneously.
>
> That is exactly why I use different screens.
>
> When I installed stumpwm, I enabled Xinerama and I always had only one
> workspace spawning two screens. So I abadoned this idea and used two
> screens since then.
>
> Everything works very well with this setup, but I cannot move a window
> from one screen to the other...

So, what you *really* want is the ability to have
monitors/displays/screens showing different groups, like xmonad does.
Configuring your displays as X screens is just a hack to get this, with
a really lame side-effect that you've discovered.

A number of other people were interested in this as well. I'm personally
happy with one group being displayed at a time, though I'd be interested
in trying out 1 group/monitor. I suspect changing stump to handle it
would be not--quite--non-trivial, though, as I imagine lots of code
assumes that only one group will be visible at a time.

Anyway. If you don't know lisp, here's a golden opportunity :).

-John