Re: [STUMP] Move a window from one screen to another

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Move a window from one screen to another
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:33:33 +0200

Morgan Veyret <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12:12 Thu 25 Sep     , Stefan Reichör wrote:
>> "Daniel Werner" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Hi Stefan!
>> >
>> > You may wish to activate Xinerama in your xorg.conf. This usually
>> > allows the window manager to manage all screens using only one
>> > instance, instead of spawning a separate window manager process for
>> > each screen. With most Xinerama-unaware window managers (e.g. wmi,
>> > blackbox), this has the side effect of not only switching
>> > groups/workspaces on one screen, but on *all* screens simultaneously.
>>
>> That is exactly why I use different screens.
>>
>> When I installed stumpwm, I enabled Xinerama and I always had only one
>> workspace spawning two screens. So I abadoned this idea and used two
>> screens since then.
>>
>> Everything works very well with this setup, but I cannot move a window
>> from one screen to the other...
>
> You can't, this is an X limitation. But you can set the DISPLAY variable
> when launching your app.

Ah - now I understand how the two screens are handled.

On *screen-1*
echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

On *screen-2*
echo $DISPLAY
:0.1

Using the DISPLAY variable allows to control where the launched
application is displayed - this helps a lot.

I remember vaguely that I have seen a way to move an application from
one display to another. I'll try to find this application. Perhaps it
solves my problem.

Stefan.