[STUMP] stumpwm goes into an infinite loop

From: Phil! Gold
Subject: [STUMP] stumpwm goes into an infinite loop
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:37:13 -0400

...or, at least, that's what I assume is happening.

I'm mostly looking for suggestions on determining where in the code
stumpwm is looping so I can then figure out what's causing it.

Here are the symptoms:

I have three different computers, with different usage patterns and
different hardware: one is a singleheaded desktop with an 1280x1024 LCD on
an nvidia video card with the binary driver, one is a dualheaded desktop
with two 1600x1200 CRTs on an nvidia video card with the binary driver,
and one is a laptop with the builtin screen at 1024x768 on an intel
chipset with the stock Linux driver.

I run stumpwm under SBCL 1.0.18 (currently; I've used older versions with
the same problem in the past).

Every so often, stumpwm will stop responding to its attention key
combination, the mode line will cease updating, and top will show the
stumpwm-running sbcl process using all the available CPU.  Mouse clicks
will not register in any application, although keyboard events will go to
whichever application was focused at the time the problem occurred.  My
guess, based on the symptoms, is that stumpwm is getting into an infinite
loop somehow.  I'd like to figure out how that's happening.  (I suspect
the root cause is either something to do with my mode line setup or
something firefox is doing; aside from running xterms, those are the only
real commonalities among the various computers.)

Any suggestions?

--- --
It's possible there had been armed autonomous droids at some point in the
past, and one can almost imagine past issues of that galaxy's Risks
Digest.
                       -- Anthony DeBoer, on SW: TPM