Re: [STUMP] stumpwm goes into an infinite loop

From: Vasanth Kumar
Subject: Re: [STUMP] stumpwm goes into an infinite loop
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:53:07 +0530

>> Every so often, stumpwm will stop responding to its attention key
>> combination, the mode line will cease updating, and top will show the
>> stumpwm-running sbcl process using all the available CPU.  Mouse clicks
>> will not register in any application, although keyboard events will go to
>> whichever application was focused at the time the problem occurred.  My
>> guess, based on the symptoms, is that stumpwm is getting into an infinite
>> loop somehow.  I'd like to figure out how that's happening.  (I suspect
>> the root cause is either something to do with my mode line setup or
>> something firefox is doing; aside from running xterms, those are the only
>> real commonalities among the various computers.)

Exactly the same happens to me as well - all the time - with a frequency
of roughly one crash per hour. And, it is not firefox to blame. Often,
stumpwm "freezes" with just one urxvt window running.

I've been logging the stumpwm output for sometime now (with the
*debug-level* set to 10), and I haven't been able to notice any pattern
to figure out what is going wrong.

My guess is that it is something to do with the modeline. But all I have
setup to show on the modeline is a list of groups, and a time display.

Just for the record, I run Gentoo, with X11 1.3, dual-headed on an intel
chipset. I have no other desktop managers or anything. I use SBCL
1.0.14.

--
Vasanth Kumar