[STUMP] a program to switch windows

From: Andrei Mikhailov
Subject: [STUMP] a program to switch windows
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:10:54 -0700

Dear StumpWM developers!

I have recently started using StumpWM, it is great!

I want to invite you to test a program which I wrote for switching
between windows and workspaces (I mean, groups)
It is called wmjump:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/wmjump/

I tested it on StumpWM 0.9.5 and it works. (Intrepid Ibex, CLISP)

It is similar to the StumpWM window switcher, but slightly different:
1. It enumerates windows by letters rather than numbers. (So, you can
manage up to 26 windows)
    Pressing the corresponding key brings you to that window.
2. It uses colours to show the window class

Instructions are available here:

http://wmjump.sourceforge.net/

The way I use it, I put these too lines into my .stumpwmrc:

(define-key *top-map* (kbd "M-k") "exec wmjump --reverse")

(define-key *top-map* (kbd "M-j") "eval-line (let ((dnum
(stumpwm::tile-group-number (current-group)) ))  (run-shell-command
(concatenate 'string \"exec wmjump --current --reverse -g\"
(write-to-string (- dnum 1)))) (stumpwm::tile-group-name
(current-group)))")

I do not really know LISP, sorry if this is wrong. But it works for me.
The first line is simple: it starts wmjump on pressing META-k. This
shows the list of all windows on all desktops (sorry, I mean groups)
The second line starts wmjump --current on META-j. With the --current
flag, only the windows on the current group are shown.
Unfortunately, at this time wmjump has difficulty determining the
desktop (group) on which it is started. So, I had to tell it
explicitly
using the -g flag. That's why the second line is so long. In fact, I
don't know how I figured out that one...

Maybe it is a matter of habit, but I find this thing easier to use
than the built-in switcher on StumpWM. Especially because of colors.

So, I wanted to invite you to test it, and maybe it would be possible
to build-in something similar into StumpWM?

Andrei.