Re: [STUMP] Building StumpWM/CLisp on Ubuntu

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Building StumpWM/CLisp on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:24:56 +0100

Hi Ben,

Ben Spencer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 04:51:54PM +0100, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> 1. The *mode-line-timeout* is not activated every second, contrarily to
>> what's
>>    written in my "dot" file (but I think this was already the case before as
>>    well). So, this is not a new problem.
>
> This rings a bell.  ISTR it's an issue either with mit-clx or earlier
> versions of new-clx.  Google's not being helpful though, maybe
> somebody else remembers?

This has been resolved by Vitaly: a question of ordering in the dot file.

>> 4. My own-compiled version of StumpWM does not read my `.stumpwmrc' file, it
>>    seems. Nothing appears on the screen. But, yes, `Ctrl-T' is active, and I
>>    can do whatever I want with it. Working, but not set up as expected.
>
> What happens if you do C-t ; loadrc?  Is anything useful output on the
> console?  You might also try with a simpler rc file, just to see if
> it's finding it at all.

I must have been fooled by:
- my prefix key that did not work,
- the Ubuntu GDM logo staying much longer than normal,
as it now works. Though, I did not see any mode-line... but OK let's forget
it.

I can switch between 2 different StumpWM just by playing in the
`stumpwm.desktop' file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=StumpWM
Comment=This session logs you into StumpWM (a minimalistic window manager)
Exec=/usr/local/bin/stumpwm
Icon=
Type=Application

- `Exec=/usr/local/bin/stumpwm' for the one I compiled (0.9.7-git)
- `Exec=/usr/bin/stumpwm' for the one I compiled (version of 20 May 2009, if I
  remember good)

Everything works the same in both, except displaying my "system tray"
(`stalonetray', that I use for `network manager' and `mail-notification').

Within StumpWM 0.9.7 that I compiled yesterday on top of SBCL, I get the
following error:

Error In Command 'select-window-by-number 0': ID 0 from
display #<XLIB:DISPLAY :0 (The X.Org Foundation R10604000)> should have been a
XLIB:WINDOW, but was #<XLIB:PIXMAP :0 0>

Any idea why?

Best regards,
  Seb

--