Re: [STUMP] Interesting Bug...

From: Brit Butler
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Interesting Bug...
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:21:33 -0500

Ben,

Sorry for the tremendous delay in my response. I tried shooting video of this but it looked awful. I can provide it if anyone thinks it might help.

Trying to be more precise: there are really two issues at hand, one being the crash. Let's look at that first.
There are 3 states we're considering:

1) laptop enabled, VGA disabled with these results:
address@hidden paktahn-dev]$ xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head
  head #0: 1280x800 @ 0,0
STUMPWM> (screen-heads (current-screen))
(#S(frame 0 NIL 0 0 1280 800))

2) laptop enabled, VGA enabled with these results:
address@hidden paktahn-dev]$ xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head
  head #0: 1680x1050 @ 0,0
  head #1: 1280x800 @ 0,0
STUMPWM> (screen-heads (current-screen))
(#S(frame 0 NIL 0 0 1280 800))

3) laptop disabled, VGA enabled with these results:
address@hidden paktahn-dev]$ xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head
  head #0: 1680x1050 @ 0,0
STUMPWM> (screen-heads (current-screen))
(#S(frame 0 NIL 0 0 1680 1050))

The crash is caused by disabling the laptop display while simultaneously enabling the desktop display or vice versa. If I have the laptop display enabled, then enable the VGA monitor, then disable the laptop display there is no crash. Similarly for VGA -> VGA+Laptop -> Laptop.

The reason I switch completely, only running one display at a time, is because of my other problem. You'll notice (screen-heads (current-screen)) remains at 1280x800 with the laptop + VGA monitor enabled. So enabling both "heads" only gets me one head listed for (screen-heads (current-screen)) which fails to take advantage of the new screen space. This is why I wrote my fix-layout defcommand but that too only works when there is a single display enabled.

Hope this clears things up a bit. Sorry for any former confusion.

Regards,
Brit Butler

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Ben Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:40:41PM -0500, Brit Butler wrote:
> Mirrored, with all windows in all groups taking advantage of the larger
> resolution. To be clear, I actually shut the laptop lid on the dock as there
> isn't enough room on the desk for both screens to be open and visible.

What happens if you actually disable the laptop screen?  Or does that
trigger the crash?

(using xrandr that would be 'xrandr --output LVDS1 --off', not sure
how you'd do the same thing with lxrandr)

Could you also post before and after output for:

xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA | grep head

and

(screen-heads (current-screen))

the latter from slime.