Re: [STUMP] Windowlist completion

From: Krzysztof Drewniak
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Windowlist completion
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 21:16:07 -0600

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 12:13 +0000, Ben Spencer wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:03:40AM -0300, Rodrigo Lazo wrote:
> > Now, windowlist command tries to match what I type with a window name,
> > which is great, except that it has two problems:
> >
> > * `j` and `k` move-up and move-down the list, which is confusing.
>
> This has been discussed before.  I believe the bindings were added
> before menus were made searchable, and left in for backward
> compatibility.  You can disable them with:
>
> (define-key *menu-map* (kbd "j") nil)
> (define-key *menu-map* (kbd "k") nil)
>
> We probably could remove them from the defaults: I haven't heard
> anyone with a particularly strong opinion on the matter.

I think we should remove the "j" and "k" bindings because they violate
the principle of least astonishment. It is probably really confusing (as
a user) that every "normal" (alphanumeric) key adds to the search
string, EXCEPT "j" and "k", which clear the search string and move the
selection.

> > * Pressing Backspace inserts a `?` char, instead of deleting the
> >   preceding char.
> >
> > Fix for the backspace is pretty simple, at least in the way I've done it
> > (not sure if it's the right way, though).
>
> There was a previous patch that did this in a slightly nicer way, by
> making it a function that could be bound in *menu-map*:
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/stumpwm-devel/2011-03/txtROpg6gZmvP.txt

I have attached a patch that implements this feature.
> ISTR there were some other issues with that patch, so it wasn't
> applied, but that part seems ok and could be extracted.
>

> Incidentally, the current-input slot should really use an adjustable
> vector with a fill pointer (as in input.lisp) rather than copying
> strings all over the place.  This should be an easy fix if anyone
> feels like doing it.

I have attached a patch which implements this as well.

> Ben

While testing my Backspace patch, I discovered a bug: pressing Page Up
of Page Down with *menu-maximum-height* set to nil causes the error
"Argument Y is not a number: NIL". A patch which fixes this issue is
attached.

Krzysztof Drewniak
--
pgp key on keyserver.ubuntu.com 2388E924