Re: [STUMP] Should ECL support be removed from stumpwm ?

From: Christian Walther
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Should ECL support be removed from stumpwm ?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:51:43 +0200

Hi,

On 23 October 2012 12:46, Wojciech Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM, z_axis <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It seems there is nobody to run stumpwm using ECL successfully. So i suggest
>> removing ECL relatives from stumpwm sources in order not to mislead the
>> users.
>
> If there are problems I would rather like to be them fixed rather than
> removing the ECL port.
> I'd do it myself if I had enough time. Currently ECL is one of the
> most portable ports, so having
> it would be very good.

actually I tried using ECL with stumpwm, on the Raspberry Pi.
There seems to be at least one problem I came across. When installing
quicklisp ecl messes up (merge-pathnames) in the init file, which
renders quicklisp useless.
I fixed this manually but found another problem, one that seems to be
related to (merge-pathnames) as well, when called from within asdf.
Guess there's something broken in ECL related to the ARM platform.

So far I've been unable to investigate any further, due to time constrains.

Personally I agree with you Wojciech, it would be a pity if ECL
support is removed from stumpwm. But I'm really no Lisp expert and
thus doubt that I can be of great help in fixing the bugs, although
I'll be happy to do some testing and digging around if needed.

Regards,
Christian Walther