Re: [STUMP] retrieve url of focused browser?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] retrieve url of focused browser?
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 17:01:41 +0800

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen (2014-02-01 08:18 +0400) wrote:
>
>> All this renewed activity has reminded me I have a few StumpWM utilities
>> that I've been meaning to finish. One is an extension to emacs org-mode,
>> letting StumpWM call in to the org-mode capture process.
>>
>> One thing I'd really like to have working for that is the ability to
>> extract a url from the focused web browser. From what I can tell, that
>> information isn't present as part of the xlib window data. So it's
>> sounding a bit iffy.
>>
>> Does anyone have any bright ideas in this direction? I'd be willing to
>> write multiple browser-specific implementations, but I'm not even sure
>> where to start. Perhaps sending a fake keypress to highlight the URL
>> bar, and getting the x selection...?
>
> Not all browsers have URL bar.  IMHO this is the task for the browser
> itself, not the WM.
>
> (Not related, but may be useful for someone) To make conkeror (the
> browser I use) create org-mode links I use the recipe from
> <http://emacs-fu.blogspot.ru/2010/12/conkeror-web-browsing-emacs-way.html>

Thanks to all responses! Looks like the consensus is: "get the url on
the clipboard however you can, and go from there." I think that's fine
-- the only regret is not having both the url and the HTML page title
together.

I actually use conkeror, and had seen that link above, and have been
considering using it for a bit. But in the end I'd like to be able to
capture TODOs and events and arbitrary text from anywhere, so I decided
to base the operation in StumpWM.

I'll post a link to a file when it's working...

Thanks,
Eric