Re: [STUMP] Windows key prefix key oddity

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Windows key prefix key oddity
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:15:37 +0800

Ruthard Baudach <address@hidden> writes:

>>== Auszüge aus der Nachricht von  Bernard Hurley vom 2014-03-29 07:34:
>>
>> The xorg foundation recommends that you don't use xmodmap any more.
>> The "correct" way to do it is to modify the keyboard's configuration
>> file. On Debian this file is /etc/default/keyboard.
>>

> Did you try to change anything in your keyboard layout using the
> "correct" way?
>
> If you're going to customize your complete keyboard layout, it's a good
> idea to stick with the xkb system.
>
> You have to write (or copy-and-customize) a complete set of xkb
> description files, compile them, and debug them.
>
> I never found any suitable documentation or tutorials for this process,
> I never got anything to work this way with the documentation I found.

The archlinux wiki is often the best place for explanations of stuff
like this, with (usually minor) adjustments if you're not actually using
arch. I read the page linked below, and a bit of other stuff, and
finally, after years of mild annoyance, got the perfect setup: a
customized us layout with all the modifiers where I wanted them, and the
ability to hotplug an external keyboard (with very different geometry)
so that all the modifiers were still in the same physical location on
the keyboard. No hooks, no rules, no daemons, etc.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_KeyBoard_extension